Our day. Just another day. Nothing special. No, I should say, nothing out of the ordinary. Every day is special in it's unique way. That I get to be home with these two on the days that I am is special!
- Mall walking with Loreen and J.K.. I have never done that before! A first for me! Definitely worth repeating. It beats being out in the ice storm remnants. An hour whizzed by and I had no idea!
- Lunch at the kitchen counter with Mizzy Moo. Our usual battle; me wanting to eat and get on with the day, her wanting to talk, squirm, lollygag around with little intention of actually eating. Turkey and cheese crackers with milk for her, left over ginger rice and chicken for me.
- Mia's nap time! Mum's me time! Returned some e-mails, did my 25 random things about me and that about filled my time. I did rearrange a scrapbook layout of Moo and Ethan for the 12th time in less than 24 hours. Work in progress.
- Ran to bus stop to get Nikolas from the bus. Came home alone as he went to a fellow Kindergartner's house in the neighborhood for a play date. Relief on my part as I open Nikolas' school folder that he got green today. Surpise at finding a $20 bill in his school bag?...
- Went and checked the mail with Moo. Still going in and out of the garage as the front steps are VERY icy. Mia slipped down them this morning alerting the rest of us to their condition. A package from Granny for M and N! Which actually turned out to be from GG (Great Gran in England). Shrimp?! Shrimp sweeties. Not shrimp flavored, thank goodness, just shrimp shaped. Interesting...
- Baked banana bread with my "shoe chef". Like her brother, she likes to "help" in the kitchen and likes to be known as the "shoe chef". Figured, while the oven's on, I'll get the turkey meatballs in there too. Dinner, done!
- Picked up Nikolas and spontaneously decided to go to the library. Needed to pick up the other half of the library which was sitting on the hold self for me. Glad to see that another Lee, S (she's So, I'm Su) does what I do! Literally, we have half of the EASY section at our house... I found a children's lit recommended reading site and put well over 2/3 of it on hold to save me from having to look myself.
- Dinner; spaghetti and turkey parm meatballs with mixed veggies for everybody. More dinner to-do from a certain unmentionable young lady... The meal is concluded with aforementioned shrimp. They taste like very sweet marshmallows. Kids were thrilled! Talked about our favorite event/activity of the day as we do every night; for me, walking with Loreen, for Nikolas, his play date with Ean and for Mia, baking banana bread with Mum. Queried N on the money in his school bag. He had decided to take it from his wallet and take it to school today. Didn't know why. Okay... Not a good idea, Magoo. Mum's to be the wallet keeper from now on, he is free to come visit it and discuss bills departing their leather blanket.
- Sat on the couch and read two of our "need to free up some room in the library book bin" books which were slated to go back to the library; "One" and a book about Chinese New Year. Mia can distinguish every color but blue and red. Or she feigns ignorance over the two of them ALL THE TIME! There are days when I want to excuse it with a color disorder. There are other days when reality says it's a two year old disorder... In the same color book, we talked about how blue is blue; he's sad. Nikolas said he was sad too; he was sad that Daddy wasn't here. He's never identified a cause of that emotion before on his own, without us lending him the words.
- Began a game of Quirkle with Nikolas whilst M sat on the couch reading pink and purple ballerina and princess books. Not looking good for Mum...
- There were three in the shower and the Mummy said; "You're hogging all the water! budge over!" Slathered both kids in lotion as their skin is bone dry. No central humidifier in this house and couldn't be bothered with the individual room units.
- Cut Mia's nails while Nikolas spoke with his Daddy who was on a boat in Tampa. Nikolas has a surprise for him which I apparently ruined but Michael has no idea about... But I still got reprimanded by my son, anyway. Mia wishes her Daddy good night as well and into bed she goes after prayers.
- Finish our game of Quirkle where things rapidly deteriorate for me! It's awesome to watch his love for patterns and math play out in this game. It's an even playing field as he doesn't need much help. I got slaughtered; 252 to 213! I think that's 4 nights in a row now that he's beaten me!
- Nikolas' bed time.
I have a precious story to share with you. A story about a big brother who is selfless and loves his little sister so much! When I'm standing at the door to the bus, eagerly awaiting my child, there is always this tall little fellow who comes bounding off the bus with his school bag in one hand and something he's dying to show me in the other. Monday afternoon he had a headband! A headband? A floral, girlie headband. A headband that he had chosen from the treasure box as a reward for good behaviour and following the classroom rules. A headband that he chose for Mia. That he was so excited to bring home for her and bestow upon her. He was so proud! Touching. MELTS me. Just melts my heart that he has such a big heart for his little sister...