I was surfing around the ether yesterday in search of something, I'm not really sure what, when I came across this sketch from Laura Whitaker at ScrapMuch?
I love Laura's sketches as well as her scrappy style! This sketch really appealed to me with the square divided on the diagonal and the layers behind multiple pictures. I decided to play along and this is what I created;
I used my March Cocoa Daisy kit in the creating of this layout. The black and white picture of Nikolas and his math tutor was a tad washed out due to the light pouring in the window behind them so by converting to black and white, I was able to still use the picture. I toyed with true black and white and sepia so that it would match the kraft colors I used on the patterned papers. I decided I liked the contrast of the black and white better.
A close up of my title work for you. I used all the letters that came with the kit. In order to get the word "about" to fit, I used the abbreviation instead. The word prickly was chosen to go with the cactus down below. Nikolas is not a fan of math - an inherited trait from his mother. He has really struggled with the consistency and practice that are a necessary component for success in algebra. Given that algebra is the foundation of many things to come in math, we decided, like it or not, he would have a math tutor. And, while it's not his favorite place to be, it has made a world of difference! And, while it has helped, he's still rather prickly about math!
The symbolism of the lightbulbs was another fun play I was able to capitalize upon on this layout. The fact that the light bulb is finally going off and he's getting the concepts and mastering them, not just occasionally chancing upon the correct answer is HUGE!
The cacti from the We R Memory Keepers collection really stumped me. At the time that I was designing with the kit for my Cocoa Daisy work, I just couldn't find a way to incorporate them into my creations. I managed to find the perfect solution here however!
As you can see, I adapted the sketch to suit my needs using only two pictures and converting three large banners to a string of light bulbs. Between the kit and the sketch, this layout came together in a cinch! Love when that happens!